Others muted the differences between men and women and were satisfied to preach absolute equality. But they all reckoned...
"The nineteenth century feminist would be shocked with the television commercial for President Obama characterizing a young woman's first vote for the president as the equivalent of giving up her virginity." Sounds like they got it right, either way you're screwed!
More than a century and a half ago, when early suffragettes fought to win the vote, they campaigned for equality as a source of independence and dignity, a means for a woman to stand equally with a man. The vote would uphold a woman's capacity to be fully human under the law, and from the law the culture would change. The early feminists assumed a moral superiority over men, which is why so many were active in the temperance movement.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Report: There’s a nasty bit of the budget deal that makes tax hikes easier to pass Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- George W. sends letter of support to Alabama kicker after Iron Bowl Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Report: Top “moderate” U.S.-backed Syrian rebel general chased out of the country by jihadis Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Rand Paul: This “backwards,” “status quo” budget plan stinks, and stinks badly. Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- RNC’s plan for 2016: Fewer debates, later primaries, and a convention in June Allahpundit 4 hours ago