A history mistake in the fourth paragraph: In the old days Thanksgiving was celebrated on the last Thursday in November, usually the fourth, but sometimes the fifth Thursday. When it fell on the fifth Thursday it made Christmas shopping season darn short, hence FDR's attempt to move the holiday. As you say, Congress fixed it by setting Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday.
President Obama will proclaim this Thursday to be a day of thanksgiving, following a tradition established by America’s first president. Many American community traditions are built around this single meal. A holiday that now includes family gatherings, charitable feasts, televised parades, and college football must have had a significant beginning. Some in-depth investigation proves that Thanksgiving Day marks the most intriguing...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 19 hours ago