A history mistake in the fourth paragraph: In the old days Thanksgiving was celebrated on the last Thursday in November, usually the fourth, but sometimes the fifth Thursday. When it fell on the fifth Thursday it made Christmas shopping season darn short, hence FDR's attempt to move the holiday. As you say, Congress fixed it by setting Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday.
President Obama will proclaim this Thursday to be a day of thanksgiving, following a tradition established by America’s first president. Many American community traditions are built around this single meal. A holiday that now includes family gatherings, charitable feasts, televised parades, and college football must have had a significant beginning. Some in-depth investigation proves that Thanksgiving Day marks the most intriguing...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- At Ohio State, you may be guilty of sexual assault if… Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- Actress Daniele Watts handcuffed for failing to show ID to police Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- North Korea sentences U.S. citizen to six years in a labor camp Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- Poll: Americans have little confidence in Obama’s ISIS ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 17 hours ago
- NFL Week 2 open thread Ed Morrissey 18 hours ago