A constant excise tax "made sense" in the era of "a dollar is a dollar", no inflation. As Mike points out, we never had a Federal gas tax before Eisenhower started building the Interstate System. Now every highway project, no matter how local, wants some Federal money. That attitude is going to cause a bad end for us. The prime "good", if you are green, is that higher taxes -> less use and less fuel burning. ...
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Small California winery to close doors after being fined for using volunteers Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- NC SEN: Is the race ‘tight as a tick?’ Matt Vespa 8 hours ago
- Three words. Tetris. The movie. Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Carter: If I had gone to war with Iran, I would have beaten Reagan or something Matt Vespa 9 hours ago
- FCC: We’ll look into whether “Redskins” is indecent for broadcast Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago