A constant excise tax "made sense" in the era of "a dollar is a dollar", no inflation. As Mike points out, we never had a Federal gas tax before Eisenhower started building the Interstate System. Now every highway project, no matter how local, wants some Federal money. That attitude is going to cause a bad end for us. The prime "good", if you are green, is that higher taxes -> less use and less fuel burning. ...
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 37 minutes ago
- Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- ISIS Update: Sophisticated strategic advance puts Baghdad in the crosshairs Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Ways and Means Committee: We’ve learned that Lois Lerner’s hard drive was scratched — but data was recoverable Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- The value in silence: disconnection and recollection Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Semi-retired president reluctantly decides now’s not the time for a Jimmy Kimmel guest shot Allahpundit 3 hours ago