A constant excise tax "made sense" in the era of "a dollar is a dollar", no inflation. As Mike points out, we never had a Federal gas tax before Eisenhower started building the Interstate System. Now every highway project, no matter how local, wants some Federal money. That attitude is going to cause a bad end for us. The prime "good", if you are green, is that higher taxes -> less use and less fuel burning. ...
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Alexandra Jaffe, Eliana Johnson Ed Morrissey 10 mins ago
- Politics of man who sought to firebomb black congressman’s office won’t surprise you Noah Rothman 20 mins ago
- Poll showing GOP favorability nearly even with Dems met with furious spinning Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Wow: 62% of Republicans support sending ground troops into Iraq and Syria Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: AQ’s competition with ISIS means renewed focus on hitting US Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- The GOP comes roaring back in Colorado Noah Rothman 3 hours ago