A constant excise tax "made sense" in the era of "a dollar is a dollar", no inflation. As Mike points out, we never had a Federal gas tax before Eisenhower started building the Interstate System. Now every highway project, no matter how local, wants some Federal money. That attitude is going to cause a bad end for us. The prime "good", if you are green, is that higher taxes -> less use and less fuel burning. ...
- Elite northeastern college town very worried about becoming Ferguson Jazz Shaw 38 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago
- US reconfirms policy of not paying ransoms to terrorists for abducted Americans Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- Jake Tapper: Getting a conviction against Darren Wilson could be an ‘uphill battle’ Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of blacks say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons Allahpundit 15 hours ago