Not so like George Washington. He had less imagination and was unable to see how to free his slaves and maintain his lifestyle. He kept falling into debt, and most of his slaves were auctioned off after his death to pay his debts. BTW, George didn't free all his slaves upon his death. He freed only one. He directed that the rest were to be freed on Martha's death, which was about 2 years later.
Before Thomas Jefferson took office as the third President of the United States, he spent five years as America’s Minister (ambassador) to France. From this perspective, Jefferson wrote of the pervasive civil immaturity among the citizens of Europe. In his missive to fellow Declaration of Independence signer George Wythe, Jefferson noted Europe's shameful comparison to the culture of freedom and rugged individualism that was flourishing in the New World.
“If all the...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 23 minutes ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago