I was impressed by something out of Icelandic governance 1000 years ago. Iceland had a yearly all-get-together that heard lawsuits and made laws. The top officer of that all-get-together was called the Speaker, and his job during the all-get-together was to recite the law. These were pre-literate times so the law was memorized and had to be recited from memory. Because of the volume of law it took three convocations (three years) of the all-get-together to recite all of it. Then the speaker started over again. Imagine what OUR laws would look like if the top legislators were required to recite the law from memory.
- Quotes of the day Erika Johnsen 31 minutes ago
- Venezuela to US: You should probably come participate in a “peace commission” on all this violence you’ve caused Erika Johnsen 2 hour ago
- The most dangerous wedding photo evah? Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- NRLC Interview – Joe Scarborough Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- And your latest straw poll winner is… Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago