An era ended when the Soviet Union collapsed on Dec. 31, 1991. The confrontation between the United States and the Soviet Union defined the Cold War period. The collapse of Europe framed that confrontation. After World War II, the Soviet and American armies occupied Europe. Both towered over the remnants of Europe's forces. The collapse of the European imperial system, the emergence of new states and a struggle between the Soviets and Americans for domination and influence also defined the confrontation. There were, of course, many other aspects and phases of the confrontation, but in the end, the Cold...
Clarify some points. Cyprus entered the EU on Greek blackmail. Greece intended to block the entrance of other candidate states unless Cyprus was admitted too. What happened to Cyprus could be described as an ultimatum: submit or your banks will no longer get ECB support, taken to mean the banks failing, etc.. The leaders of Cyprus did have sovereign choice, and they chose to submit.
- New Hillary memoir to be titled “Hard Choices”? Ed Morrissey 48 minutes ago
- Protip from Reid: Bundy supporters are “domestic terrorists,” y’know Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Video: Ukraine deal not exactly embraced by either side Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Media Matters not super-keen on SEIU unionizing its employees Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Video: How removing one regulation created hundreds of jobs in Mississippi Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago