Jackson says the meaning of marriage is "simply common sense." Through much of the last century, separation of the races was "simply common sense." Before 1919, banning women from voting was "simply common sense." In World War II, putting Japanese-Americans in detention camps was "simply common sense." Killing the "savage" Indians and herding them onto reservations was "simply common sense." Common sense does not make something right, or moral, or fair. It simply means that what people commonly thing can be very wrongheaded.
For most Americans, the meaning of marriage is simply common sense. Marriage as the union of one man and one woman is at the heart of what most of us believe family should be. Even if we don’t all manage to live out that belief as perfectly as we would like, not everyone who opposes the redefinition of marriage to include homosexual couples has a detailed explanation for their position. Just because someone is divorced, for example, does not mean he or she does not believe in traditional marriage. Everyday folks understand that society needs strong ideals to bring out the...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 7 hours ago