While slavery was an important part of why the Civil War happened the war was about what the country was founded on, a federation of states governing themselves. When Robert E. Lee paced the floor in his home trying to decide which side he would join he said that he had to stand with 'his country' meaning Virginia! We forget the mindset that was held back then when each state was to govern itself & Washington was to have a much less roll than it had after the war, which is why before the war, as has been pointed out many times, the country consisted of THESE United States & after the war it was THIS United States. States rights was the focal point & if the matters that were the basis of its founding had been upheld slavery would have been dealt with & would have gradually disappeared rather than dumping former slaves into a resentful country where they were not welcome by many. Patience pays off when practiced but when matters like this are rushed, even when based on some noble ideas, few benefit. We continue to battle today the centralization of government in Washington which was never intended by the founding fathers! Washington has way too much power in making states abide by a centralized government which doesn't understand or care about the issues individual states face. The problem with illegals is one example!
- Video: How to get kicked out of a Clay Aiken fundraiser Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- U.S. to announce ground troops to Poland, says… Polish defense minister Mary Katharine Ham 14 hours ago
- Rand Paul to Harry Reid: Simmer down with the “domestic terrorist” rhetoric about Bundy’s supporters Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Snowden: I asked Putin that softball question on surveillance to start a public debate in Russia Allahpundit 16 hours ago
- The Obama admin is delaying the Keystone XL review process through the election. Yes, again. Erika Johnsen 17 hours ago