Since Barack Obama's re-election, hundreds...
The war of 1861 started over taxes. Ft Sumter was the taxing authority for the port of Charleston. It's guns and ships enforced the tax laws on imports and exports to the United States. When the South succeeded, the fort refused to go along giving Lincoln a cause to go to war. Today, economics holds us together: the redistribution of wealth from one state to another. Can a state survive without federal tax dollars? Well yes, we simply hold on to the tax flow going to Washington DC and use it for ourselves. That would enrich some states and others would suffer a slight loss. Unscrambling the mess would be the biggest problem. Moving to block grants would be a good intermediate step and allow us to get the systems in place.
For decades, it has been obvious that there are irreconcilable differences between Americans who want to control the lives of others and those who wish to be left alone. Which is the more peaceful solution: Americans using the brute force of government to beat liberty-minded people into submission or simply parting company? In a marriage, where vows are ignored and broken, divorce is the most peaceful solution. Similarly, our constitutional and human rights have been increasingly violated by a government instituted to protect them. Americans who support constitutional abrogation have no intention of mending their ways.
- National Journal: Hillary resets on Russia Ed Morrissey 21 minutes ago
- US to give up control over Internet Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Flight 370 dropped to 5,000 feet to evade radar Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Crimea declares independence, applies for Russian reunion Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Erika Johnsen 14 hours ago
- Venezuela to US: You should probably come participate in a “peace commission” on all this violence you’ve caused Erika Johnsen 15 hours ago