Since Barack Obama's re-election, hundreds...
The war of 1861 started over taxes. Ft Sumter was the taxing authority for the port of Charleston. It's guns and ships enforced the tax laws on imports and exports to the United States. When the South succeeded, the fort refused to go along giving Lincoln a cause to go to war. Today, economics holds us together: the redistribution of wealth from one state to another. Can a state survive without federal tax dollars? Well yes, we simply hold on to the tax flow going to Washington DC and use it for ourselves. That would enrich some states and others would suffer a slight loss. Unscrambling the mess would be the biggest problem. Moving to block grants would be a good intermediate step and allow us to get the systems in place.
For decades, it has been obvious that there are irreconcilable differences between Americans who want to control the lives of others and those who wish to be left alone. Which is the more peaceful solution: Americans using the brute force of government to beat liberty-minded people into submission or simply parting company? In a marriage, where vows are ignored and broken, divorce is the most peaceful solution. Similarly, our constitutional and human rights have been increasingly violated by a government instituted to protect them. Americans who support constitutional abrogation have no intention of mending their ways.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 11 hours ago