I'm reminded of some obvservations by New Gingrich that "adolescence" is a relatively new phenomenon in human history. Until the mid-19th century, boys were expected to either start learning a trade, go to work on the farm, or go to the university at 13-14 years old. This is why the Bar Mitzvah and Confirmation are done at that age. Today, we do not expect our children to act as adults until they are well into their 20's. For at least half of college students, that four (or more) year adventure is nothing more than an expensive extension of irresponsible adolescence.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 4 hours ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off Allahpundit 7 hours ago