I'm reminded of some obvservations by New Gingrich that "adolescence" is a relatively new phenomenon in human history. Until the mid-19th century, boys were expected to either start learning a trade, go to work on the farm, or go to the university at 13-14 years old. This is why the Bar Mitzvah and Confirmation are done at that age. Today, we do not expect our children to act as adults until they are well into their 20's. For at least half of college students, that four (or more) year adventure is nothing more than an expensive extension of irresponsible adolescence.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Priorities: Germany bans Uber, ride-sharing services Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Breaking: Obama approves sending 350 more troops back into Baghdad Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- ESPN poll: 71% support team keeping “Redskins” name — including 53% of liberals Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Brutal Ad: Mary Landrieu’s tireless representation of her true home town Guy Benson 8 hours ago
- Chris Christie thinks Putin wouldn’t test him like he does Obama, and that’s driving liberals nuts Noah Rothman 8 hours ago