I still remember the parents' orientation session when my son started Kindergarten at our Rich Suburban, Lilly-white public school district (1988). The principal wanted to reassure the parents whose kids had not gone to private pre-schools (my son had had 3 years of it by then). He assured them that by December of that year, there would be absolutely no difference in academic performance between the pre-schooled kids and those who stayed home with (presumably) Mommy. And so it goes. "Head-Start" provides free babysitting, lots of jobs for otherwise-unemployable teachers and child care workers, and makes liberal politicians feel like they are doing something nice for "disadvantaged" yoot. What more could anyone ask?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: Don’t panic, but there are now robot vampire bats Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- 2015 Pro Bowl open thread Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Trove of Hillary Clinton’s “policy work as first lady” papers set for release Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Troll fest: Obama administration now picking a fight with Republicans over Alaska drilling Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- Chris Christie tackles his problem with conservative voters Noah Rothman 10 hours ago