I still remember the parents' orientation session when my son started Kindergarten at our Rich Suburban, Lilly-white public school district (1988). The principal wanted to reassure the parents whose kids had not gone to private pre-schools (my son had had 3 years of it by then). He assured them that by December of that year, there would be absolutely no difference in academic performance between the pre-schooled kids and those who stayed home with (presumably) Mommy. And so it goes. "Head-Start" provides free babysitting, lots of jobs for otherwise-unemployable teachers and child care workers, and makes liberal politicians feel like they are doing something nice for "disadvantaged" yoot. What more could anyone ask?
- Is Rubio’s moment coming or has it already passed? Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Google may be the sole remaining superpower Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Huckabee calls for Supreme Court term limits Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Robert Reich: A few hundred Westerners joining ISIS ‘not a big deal’ Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- Peace on Earth: Saudis won’t rule out building nukes. Oh, and we’re negotiating for Iran. Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Marco’s moment: Likely mid-April campaign will launch in the shadow of global instability Noah Rothman 9 hours ago