I still remember the parents' orientation session when my son started Kindergarten at our Rich Suburban, Lilly-white public school district (1988). The principal wanted to reassure the parents whose kids had not gone to private pre-schools (my son had had 3 years of it by then). He assured them that by December of that year, there would be absolutely no difference in academic performance between the pre-schooled kids and those who stayed home with (presumably) Mommy. And so it goes. "Head-Start" provides free babysitting, lots of jobs for otherwise-unemployable teachers and child care workers, and makes liberal politicians feel like they are doing something nice for "disadvantaged" yoot. What more could anyone ask?
- Tunisians go to the polls today, and I go with them. Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- Matthew Miller really did want to stay in North Korea Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- ObamaCare 2016: If you like your plan, you’ll love it when we pick a different one Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- The ultimate Friday document dump? 30,000 Lerner e-mails magically appear Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Reality check: We don’t need “comprehensive anything” out of Congress, thanks. Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago