Our cultural forebears in England used to have the expression, "the deserving poor," which referred to people who, basically, had what we now call middle-class values and lifestyles. Unfotunately, in our society we are plagued by poor who are decidedly not "deserving" in the sense of that expression: they bear children out of wedlock, scorn hard work, plan and live their lives around various government handouts, abuse alcohol and drugs, and at the same time demand even more government programs to lift them into the virtual middle class. It is no wonder that taxpayers are resentful and lacking empathy toward "the Poor." Would that we could focus our efforts on the Deserving Poor.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014