Our cultural forebears in England used to have the expression, "the deserving poor," which referred to people who, basically, had what we now call middle-class values and lifestyles. Unfotunately, in our society we are plagued by poor who are decidedly not "deserving" in the sense of that expression: they bear children out of wedlock, scorn hard work, plan and live their lives around various government handouts, abuse alcohol and drugs, and at the same time demand even more government programs to lift them into the virtual middle class. It is no wonder that taxpayers are resentful and lacking empathy toward "the Poor." Would that we could focus our efforts on the Deserving Poor.
- Provokatsiya: Russia captures NATO allied Lithuania’s ship in international waters Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- Susan Rice: I hope everyone realizes it’s going to take “many months” to train these Syrian rebels Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- The unbearable lightness of Hillary, 2016 Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Great news: 36% of Americans can name all three branches of government Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- US Navy spying on private citizens? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Senate’s possible 2016 hopefuls gambling that ISIS war will be unpopular soon Noah Rothman 4 hours ago