Our cultural forebears in England used to have the expression, "the deserving poor," which referred to people who, basically, had what we now call middle-class values and lifestyles. Unfotunately, in our society we are plagued by poor who are decidedly not "deserving" in the sense of that expression: they bear children out of wedlock, scorn hard work, plan and live their lives around various government handouts, abuse alcohol and drugs, and at the same time demand even more government programs to lift them into the virtual middle class. It is no wonder that taxpayers are resentful and lacking empathy toward "the Poor." Would that we could focus our efforts on the Deserving Poor.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Meh: Rahm Emanuel opens up big lead in Chicago runoff Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Video: Barometers of political conventional wisdom say Hillary has a big problem, even on MSNBC Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Poll: Hillary hurt by scandals in key swing states Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Rubio’s pollster: If the GOP doesn’t win more than 40% of the Latino vote next year, they’ll lose the election Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- In the fight against ISIS, two steps forward and one step back Noah Rothman 8 hours ago