Our cultural forebears in England used to have the expression, "the deserving poor," which referred to people who, basically, had what we now call middle-class values and lifestyles. Unfotunately, in our society we are plagued by poor who are decidedly not "deserving" in the sense of that expression: they bear children out of wedlock, scorn hard work, plan and live their lives around various government handouts, abuse alcohol and drugs, and at the same time demand even more government programs to lift them into the virtual middle class. It is no wonder that taxpayers are resentful and lacking empathy toward "the Poor." Would that we could focus our efforts on the Deserving Poor.
- Uh oh: GOP’s vulnerable candidate start showing off their internal polls Noah Rothman 41 mins ago
- In America, we don’t kill the Ebola dog Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Matt Lewis shames the press for laughing at Bristol Palin’s physical assault Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Twitter blocks petition supporting Houston pastors Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- Breaking: New White House fence-jumper taken down by K9s, apprehended Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago