TAMPA, Fla. – "There is something about a national convention that makes it as fascinating as a revival or a hanging. It is vulgar, it is ugly, it is stupid, it is tedious, it is hard upon both the higher cerebral centers and the gluteus maximus, and yet it is somehow charming. One sits through long sessions wishing heartily that all the delegates and alternates were dead and in hell -- and then suddenly there comes a show so gaudy and hilarious, so melodramatic and obscene, so unimaginably exhilarating and preposterous that one lives a gorgeous year in an hour."...
The answer is not to get rid of the convention. Every organization in the world has a convention. Certainly, the two main political parties of the US should have theirs. The real value, since they do no nominating anymore, is that they allow the parties to present their cases (platforms?) with whatever semblance of intelligence that they want to, moreso than can be done in a 30 second attack ad with a little peace of not having the other party around. So the real question is how to effectively get this information out such that the networks will want to present it and the people will want to watch it.
- The worst political ad ever? Or the most awesome? Jazz Shaw 17 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Video: Phoenix business owner foils bank robbery by waiting at get-away car with his gun Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Obama: Hey, all these red-state Democrats running away from me are strong supporters who vote with me! Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: The ultimate gross-out Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Scary news from MoveOn: If Republicans win the Senate, they might use a dubious procedure known as “reconciliation” Allahpundit 12 hours ago