TAMPA, Fla. – "There is something about a national convention that makes it as fascinating as a revival or a hanging. It is vulgar, it is ugly, it is stupid, it is tedious, it is hard upon both the higher cerebral centers and the gluteus maximus, and yet it is somehow charming. One sits through long sessions wishing heartily that all the delegates and alternates were dead and in hell -- and then suddenly there comes a show so gaudy and hilarious, so melodramatic and obscene, so unimaginably exhilarating and preposterous that one lives a gorgeous year in an hour."...
The answer is not to get rid of the convention. Every organization in the world has a convention. Certainly, the two main political parties of the US should have theirs. The real value, since they do no nominating anymore, is that they allow the parties to present their cases (platforms?) with whatever semblance of intelligence that they want to, moreso than can be done in a 30 second attack ad with a little peace of not having the other party around. So the real question is how to effectively get this information out such that the networks will want to present it and the people will want to watch it.
- John Kerry to Code Pink: If you care about women, you should want to fight ISIS Allahpundit 21 mins ago
- Poll: Republican Cory Gardner now leads Mark Udall by one in Colorado Senate race Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- The dream of a Jon Huntsman independent run in 2016 is alive and well, my friends Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Iraqi PM: Please, America, don’t send troops back to Iraq Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Rand Paul: If it was wrong not to protect the Benghazi consulate, it’s wrong not to protect the one in Kurdistan Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Vikings retreat on Peterson after sponsors, media erupt Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago