TAMPA, Fla. – "There is something about a national convention that makes it as fascinating as a revival or a hanging. It is vulgar, it is ugly, it is stupid, it is tedious, it is hard upon both the higher cerebral centers and the gluteus maximus, and yet it is somehow charming. One sits through long sessions wishing heartily that all the delegates and alternates were dead and in hell -- and then suddenly there comes a show so gaudy and hilarious, so melodramatic and obscene, so unimaginably exhilarating and preposterous that one lives a gorgeous year in an hour."...
The answer is not to get rid of the convention. Every organization in the world has a convention. Certainly, the two main political parties of the US should have theirs. The real value, since they do no nominating anymore, is that they allow the parties to present their cases (platforms?) with whatever semblance of intelligence that they want to, moreso than can be done in a 30 second attack ad with a little peace of not having the other party around. So the real question is how to effectively get this information out such that the networks will want to present it and the people will want to watch it.
- ESPN apologizes for reporting on whether Michael Sam is showering with his teammates after practice Allahpundit 29 mins ago
- YouGov poll: Majority thinks it’s unfair to criticize presidents for playing golf Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: “I suddenly remember how good the American people are …” Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Jubilation: Israel and Syria trade fire as Islamists seize territory along tense border Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Putin is invading Ukraine, and he is winning Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Obama’s new power grab: A climate change treaty without Senate ratification Allahpundit 3 hours ago