“We don’t see the debt as an excuse to cut with abandon, to shirk our obligations,” Ryan said. “We see it as an opportunity to reform government, to make it cleaner and more effective. That’s what conservatives stand for.”
The United States, as founded, was comprised of 13 individual sovereign states - countries, if you will - the united under the Constitution for mutual protection and therefore deliberately limited the central government's authority and power. The end of slavery and male suffrage would still have come about as history has proved. Personally, I'd rather live in one of the "50 little dictatorships" that has the rights and powers rested upon it by the Constitution than have the cumbersome, intruding central government that we have today. At least the little dictatorship would be easier to dispense with.
- Another federal court strikes Obamacare subsidies on federal exchanges Gabriel Malor 32 mins ago
- Tuesday TEMS: Andrew Malcolm, Brian Barcaro, Joel Pollak Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Name That Operation? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Report: U.S. accidentally bombed “moderate” rebels in Syria — because their base was right next to Al Qaeda’s Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Whiplash: Politifact absolves Democrat who repeated…Politifact’s lie of the year Guy Benson 2 hours ago
- VA whistle-blowers receive settlements for retaliation Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago