The organization's hysteric solution to gun violence in America is to put designated sitting ducks -- er, "armed police officers" -- in every American school. Apparently the secret is now out that such places are "gun-free," and LaPierre says that "(gun-free school zones) tell every insane killer in America...
No self-respecting gun owner I know of would shoot someone to protect things; but if they break in with a weapon, you have to assume they're going to use it. Anything else is hoping in the mercy of someone who is probably lacking mercy. Also, having someone get the drop on you is no argument against having the gun, it just means it's probably not a good idea in that specific circumstance. Finally, often deaths have been prevented, whether it be mass shootings or one-on-one encounters, without the defender having to even fire a shot. That scenario played out just recently at Clackamas Town Center near Portland, OR, just recently, where a CCW holder drew his weapon but didn't fire for fear of hitting bystanders; the evildoer shot himself.
After a tragedy like the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Conn., the injection of anything short of seriousness into the subsequent public discourse about guns is touchy. But last week, the National Rifle Association blasted numerous rounds into that particular barrier with NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre's mouth.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Citizen legislator Sen. Mary Landrieu doesn’t really live in Louisiana Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Democrats go after Republican for self-defense measure he took…14 years ago Matt Vespa 8 hours ago
- Rubio: If I had to vote again on my Gang of Eight immigration bill, I’d vote no Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Obama lets another red line lapse in Ukraine, and the consequences will be dire Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- Heartache for lefties: Elizabeth Warren defends Israel at Massachusetts town hall Allahpundit 10 hours ago