Proposition 8, the 2008 ballot initiative that overturned a California Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage, reflected popular opposition to what was perceived as arrogant meddling by unelected judges. Although the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was driven by a similar populist impulse, in practice it frustrates the will of the people in states where voters or their elected...
In two cases last week, lawyers urged the Supreme Court to respect the democratic process by upholding bans on legal recognition of gay marriages. But only one of those bans can plausibly be portrayed as representing the will of the people.
- Obama: Health insurance isn’t expensive – just cancel cable and phones Ed Morrissey 43 minutes ago
- Washington, Europe getting serious about Russia sanctions over Crimea? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Scarborough: FL-13 upset shows 2014 will be “historic” Dem loss Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- NBC/WSJ poll shows Obama approval at new low of 41% Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago