Proposition 8, the 2008 ballot initiative that overturned a California Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage, reflected popular opposition to what was perceived as arrogant meddling by unelected judges. Although the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was driven by a similar populist impulse, in practice it frustrates the will of the people in states where voters or their elected...
Not chance in Hades that will happen since the future citizens of this great country will never countenance such inane thoughts.
In two cases last week, lawyers urged the Supreme Court to respect the democratic process by upholding bans on legal recognition of gay marriages. But only one of those bans can plausibly be portrayed as representing the will of the people.
- Boehner gets angry on immigration: When is Obama going to take some responsibility for something? Allahpundit 26 minutes ago
- Conservatives and establishment GOP agree: Don’t impeach Obama Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Democrats plan on making Hobby Lobby their midterm message Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Perry: Border crisis is Obama’s Katrina Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- MSNBC host: These calls for Obama’s impeachment are “treasonous accusations” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Report: ISIS just seized a bunch of uranium in Iraq Noah Rothman 3 hours ago