At the White House once I was regaling him with local news from Champaign (which he was always ready to hear), and I said, 'Blank is dead; his extremely disloyal sentiments so provoked his neighbors that there was serious talk of inflicting vengeance on him, and he was found dead in bed—caused largely by fright.' This man was an old Whig friend of Lincoln, but the reason of his exit from life's trials amused him. His comment was, 'He died, then, to save his life, it seems.'"- Lincoln's Own Stories, Anthony Gross, HARPER & BROTHERS PUBLISHERS NEW YORK AND LONDON, 1912...
In response to:
There is no more logic in the world. Nothing makes sense anymore. Up is down, down is up, good is bad, bad is good. And somehow, everyday people I know and meet just seem to be fine with it. It's like mass hypnosis or something. Perhaps God is turning people over to their own wants and twisted rationalizations just as the Bible says He would.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: “The Newsroom” final season invites you to relive hackneyed debates of 2013 Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Video: First case of Ebola found in the US Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Romney on 2016: “We’ve got a lot of people looking at the race. We’ll see what happens.” Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- NFL apologizes for penalizing player who prayed in end zone Jeff Dunetz 5 hours ago
- Should the next AG be … Republican? Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago