At the White House once I was regaling him with local news from Champaign (which he was always ready to hear), and I said, 'Blank is dead; his extremely disloyal sentiments so provoked his neighbors that there was serious talk of inflicting vengeance on him, and he was found dead in bed—caused largely by fright.' This man was an old Whig friend of Lincoln, but the reason of his exit from life's trials amused him. His comment was, 'He died, then, to save his life, it seems.'"- Lincoln's Own Stories, Anthony Gross, HARPER & BROTHERS PUBLISHERS NEW YORK AND LONDON, 1912...
In response to:
There is no more logic in the world. Nothing makes sense anymore. Up is down, down is up, good is bad, bad is good. And somehow, everyday people I know and meet just seem to be fine with it. It's like mass hypnosis or something. Perhaps God is turning people over to their own wants and twisted rationalizations just as the Bible says He would.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- At Ohio State, you may be guilty of sexual assault if… Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- Actress Daniele Watts handcuffed for failing to show ID to police Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- North Korea sentences U.S. citizen to six years in a labor camp Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- Poll: Americans have little confidence in Obama’s ISIS ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- NFL Week 2 open thread Ed Morrissey 18 hours ago