You will invariably hear over the coming weeks that our politics are broken because these damned Republicans refuse to compromise on anything. This narrative, to put it bluntly, is a lie. John Boehner reportedly offered hundreds of billions of dollars in new revenues during debt deal negotiations last summer (only to have Obama pull the rug out from under him), as did the GOP contingent on the 'Super Committee.' Democrats shut down that plan, too, then refused to offer a single unified counter-proposal. Sensing that they've backed their opponents into a corner in this dispute, liberals are aggressively...
In response to:
If the republicans had not agreed to continuous unemployment extensions & the idiotic sequstration, then perhaps the real effects of the economy would have been felt by the voting population. The policies pushed by democrats were to insulate individuals from what was really happening until after the election. Would it really have been worse if they shut down the gov't?
- Politico, WaPo, ABC: This “no strategy” comment will do serious damage Ed Morrissey 29 mins ago
- How many times does Josh Earnest have to say ‘strategy’ before you forget yesterday? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- ISIS has shocked America back to its senses Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Surprise coming in MA gubernatorial race? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- America has no strategy, but ISIS does: Biological terrorism Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- More non-existent voter fraud tuns up in Virginia Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago