You will invariably hear over the coming weeks that our politics are broken because these damned Republicans refuse to compromise on anything. This narrative, to put it bluntly, is a lie. John Boehner reportedly offered hundreds of billions of dollars in new revenues during debt deal negotiations last summer (only to have Obama pull the rug out from under him), as did the GOP contingent on the 'Super Committee.' Democrats shut down that plan, too, then refused to offer a single unified counter-proposal. Sensing that they've backed their opponents into a corner in this dispute, liberals are aggressively...
In response to:
If the republicans had not agreed to continuous unemployment extensions & the idiotic sequstration, then perhaps the real effects of the economy would have been felt by the voting population. The policies pushed by democrats were to insulate individuals from what was really happening until after the election. Would it really have been worse if they shut down the gov't?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- In Illinois and California, public servants skate in police abuse cases Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Will Utah be ground zero for nationwide gay marriage? Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Virginia cops hoping to bust teen for child pornography by, er, taking photos of his erect penis Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- NYT: Chelsea Clinton gets $75K per speech Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Ted Cruz declines to follow Palin’s lead in calling for Obama’s impeachment Allahpundit 12 hours ago