The organization's hysteric solution to gun violence in America is to put designated sitting ducks -- er, "armed police officers" -- in every American school. Apparently the secret is now out that such places are "gun-free," and LaPierre says that "(gun-free school zones) tell every insane killer in America...
This columnist is demonstrating the classic straw man argument and doing it badly. No one is suggesting the solutions she is debunking, she has taken their positions and twisted them badly. As for gun owners forming a circular firing squad around a gun-toting criminal, sorry but we aren't as stupid as that. In the real world the rest of us inhabit a CCW permit holder simply having a weapon has proved sufficient in the past, and has stopped many a criminal. They may be first and they may be crazy but they don't like the odds when someone else has a weapon - more often than not they immediately disarm and give up or shoot themselves. Either way, problem solved.
After a tragedy like the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Conn., the injection of anything short of seriousness into the subsequent public discourse about guns is touchy. But last week, the National Rifle Association blasted numerous rounds into that particular barrier with NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre's mouth.
- National Journal: Loss in HHS contraception mandate case would “restrict access” for women Ed Morrissey 21 minutes ago
- Business groups “blindsided” by Obama overtime redefinition Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Trey Gowdy on Obama’s power grabs: “How does going from being a senator to a president re-write the Constitution?” Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Criminal probe opening in GM recall? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Jolly win has Dems worried about ObamaCare … messaging Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Video: Obama warns Russia of “cost” in Crimea Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago