In response to:
I have paid into Social Security and Medicare my entire working life. First, of course, I have no choice in the matter, but secondly because I expect to get it back when I retire. Life expectancy in the US is about 79 years. So, if someone retires at age 65 they should get returns for about 14 years. But, since a lot of people die much earlier, and thus don't get to use their SS contibutions, it is available to those who do live longer. If our elected officials had kept that money for those who contributed, there would not be a SS/Medicare problem today. But they used, and are using, it to buy votes. Solve that issue and the SS/Medicare situation will resolve itself in a few years.
I have a serious question for readers. What’s worse, bailouts for government or bailouts for the private sector?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: “The Newsroom” final season invites you to relive hackneyed debates of 2013 Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Video: First case of Ebola found in the US Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Romney on 2016: “We’ve got a lot of people looking at the race. We’ll see what happens.” Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- NFL apologizes for penalizing player who prayed in end zone Jeff Dunetz 5 hours ago
- Should the next AG be … Republican? Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago