In response to:
I have paid into Social Security and Medicare my entire working life. First, of course, I have no choice in the matter, but secondly because I expect to get it back when I retire. Life expectancy in the US is about 79 years. So, if someone retires at age 65 they should get returns for about 14 years. But, since a lot of people die much earlier, and thus don't get to use their SS contibutions, it is available to those who do live longer. If our elected officials had kept that money for those who contributed, there would not be a SS/Medicare problem today. But they used, and are using, it to buy votes. Solve that issue and the SS/Medicare situation will resolve itself in a few years.
I have a serious question for readers. What’s worse, bailouts for government or bailouts for the private sector?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Ebola: First case coming to America Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Wisconsin Supreme Court upholds Gov. Scott Walker’s signature Act 10 in its entirety Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Is Romney poised for a comeback? Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: Baffling gun-control ad from Mike Bloomberg’s group draws inevitable response Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Democratic Senator calls for CIA director’s resignation for spying on Congress Noah Rothman 11 hours ago