I spent a year in Kuwait in '94-95 working with the schools. I developed the habit of going to a local tea shop several evening a week at about midnight when it was cooler. Drinking tea and smoking the Hubbly Bubbly with local shop owners, taxi drivers, mechanics, cooks, etc. I carried my English-Arabic book, but always had a lot of interpretors there who spoke English and Arabic. Many, many times individuals would express their appreciation of American intervention to remove Saddam from Kuwait. I heard stories that would tear your heart out. I was told that Kuwaiti's loved America and Americans for their support. We discussed the usual things, heat, cost of living, world events. One evening after about 6 months the topic of Jihad came up due to a local Mullah calling for one against Foreigners in Kuwait. Everyone who spoke ended to agree with the Mullah; so I asked if such a Jihad was called for that included Americans, what would they do, here in the tea shop. Short pause and then someone said "Why, we would have to kill you." There was no change in expression or voice inflection. I worked with a lot of Kuwaiti educators. I started asking that question of them. Some dropped their eyes, but most often someone said "We would have to kill you, we have to choice. We cannot question the Quran." Back in America, at my University, I asked a colleague from Saudi Arabia (Phd in Physics) who was married to an American was now a citizen of the US, what he would if a Jihad were called to kill Americans. He would not discuss it. I do not trust any Muslim, anywhere, at any time. I believe that aii Muslims believe the Quran, and belive that if a high enough ranking Mullah calls for a Jihad against Americans most Muslims would carry out those orders. Some might do so reluctantly, but they would do as ordered because that is decreed by Allah.

Dangerous People and Deadly Force

dahni Wrote: Oct 02, 2014 12:47 PM
Don't be so interested in saving the criminal at the expense of the rest of us. Intruders such as this should be stopped, now, even with deadly force. If you have to shoot, shoot a lot of times. Any other response only puts more innocents in danger.
Suppose that Gaffney had converted to Catholicism and had been trying to convert his co-workers; and that while beheading one woman and attacking another he was shouting 'For Love of the Pope'! Do ya think that our esteemed Police Forces (local, state and FBI) would be calling this workplace violence?

David French Slays Goliath

dahni Wrote: Sep 29, 2014 11:16 AM
I'm a white male Professor at a large University. I'm a type 4 when it comes to Religion as a whole, but a type 1 when Religion is concerned with actions of people that are positive where the entire community is concerned. I read Dr. Adam's posts a few times each month, because I find them very to be very intelligently written and very consistent and very truthful. His writing helps me to understand both my University setting and my personal beliefs.

Whatever Happened to the Chevy Volt?

dahni Wrote: Sep 28, 2014 12:28 PM
lol

Professors Must Defy Feds To Protect Victims

dahni Wrote: Sep 16, 2014 12:06 PM
Just for information. I was an Assistant President at a State University. Our requirement was that any employee of the University who had information about any sexual abuse to students or other employees must immediately : 1. Contact the police with the information; and 2. Contact their immediate supervisor with the information. Failure to follow those simple rules could lead, and did in a couple of instances, to losing their jobs. In one case the police charged them with obstruction of police investigation... Seemed to work for us.

Prickly Narcissist

dahni Wrote: Sep 16, 2014 11:59 AM
I imagine the situation where Obama has one SS Agent carrying the black box, and 2 SS agents carrying a large mirror. Obama could then check in regularly by asking "Mirror, mirror on the wall...."

America at the Tipping Point (Part 3)

dahni Wrote: Sep 16, 2014 11:49 AM
Obama seems to act like 'The Prince of Fools'. It certainly required a majority of Fools to elect him both times. They will just find another fool to elect next time, I'm afraid. Unless Obama manages to get all those fools to appoint him as the 'Perpetual Prince of Fools'....

Max De Pree has the answer to Ferguson

dahni Wrote: Sep 15, 2014 3:17 PM
I'm sorry you don't understand. Star seems to be saying some of the same things, but without the strength needed to make any changes. Just agreeing with DePre, who says " the art of leadership is about “liberating people to do what is required of them in the most effective way.” And what is his plan to get Welfare Takers to start taking full responsibility for not being willing to work, or to get an education. This is the critical part of any effort to reduce the number of people who depend for survival on the success of those willing to do so.

Max De Pree has the answer to Ferguson

dahni Wrote: Sep 15, 2014 10:25 AM
Sorry, Star, but this article is not going to help either the Blacks or the Whites or.....even more importantly it is not going to help Americans, period. People are going to be people. Most of us are willing to accept responsibility for ourselves. We will work, at whatever jobs are available, while we look for opportunities to improves our situations. When I want something I look for ways to earn it. Any welfare program that just gives without requiring effort for self improvement on the part of the receiver just leads to more welfare 'takers'. My community has a lot of people who like squirrels and birds. At one time a lot of people started feeding them more and more. Within about 3 years we had a lot of fat squirrels and a lot of noisy birds. Birds moved onto patios and into trees around patios, wherever they were fed. Squirrels began going into homes and garages and taking whatever food they could find. On the golf course they started getting into any golf cart that stopped and taking any food they could find. The community decided to start encouraging them to revert back to finding and eating food that did not come from people. Within 3 years the population and behavior of birds and squirrels returned to searching for acorns and worms. People are different, of course, because what a lot of welfare recipients have been led to want is as much as they see being consumed by those who work and are successful in earning money. But they don't want to work for it, they just want it and they believe that their vote for a welfare 'giver' (the government) entitles them. If they don't get what they think they deserve they will take it from wherever they can find it. Color is not the problem. (Birds or Squirrels) If they can't steal it, they will have to find another way to survive. Maybe go to work at whatever and study and learn and improve their skills in areas where their labor will be rewarded. Plumbers and electricians and carpenters and clerks and waitresses and delivery people make money. Bottom line, top line and solution: Go to work or starve.
I hold a PhD, and an Associate Professorship in both Physics and Chemistry. I have taught at least one First Year Physics and Chemistry every year for 15 years. Fifteen years ago I would assign grades of C or better to at least 70% of my students. Now I'm lucky to assign C's to 40%; even with drastically reduced standards. I have refused to teach courses in 'Science for Non-Science Majors'. My U now offers it as a Science Credit, which is all students are required to take to get degrees in Gender Studies. Thank you to the students who are ready and willing make an effort to understand.