In response to:

The EPA’s Mercury Problem

d2lv2 Wrote: Jan 09, 2013 8:38 AM
Dentist have not used mercury amalgam for thirty years.
Reginald10 Wrote: Jan 09, 2013 4:26 PM
You can get both, as well as bimetalic and solid-state (thermistor) thermometers. The mercury ones are more expensive, because mercury is.

If it's silvery inside, that's mercury.
drrisk2 Wrote: Jan 09, 2013 1:43 PM

Thermometers haven't used mercury for more than 60 years; they use alcohol.

cchuba Wrote: Jan 09, 2013 8:54 AM
The reason dentists no longer use silver / mercury amalgam is because they have superior plastic cements that look more like the original tooth, not because the amalgams are poisonous. I still have the old style amalgam fillings and the dentists have not encouraged me to replace them unless the tooth breaks or falls out. However, nimh is wrong about the CFL's the mercury is poisonous but a lot less so then the old thermometers that we used to have.

Ninety-six. That’s the number of 60-watt incandescent light bulbs I purchased last weekend after learning the other kind, the compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) environmentalists are so in love with, are hazardous to my health and to the environment. I would have preferred a higher wattage but discovered the 75-watt version was outlawed January 1st.

It took about three hours to replace every CFL bulb in my house and carefully place them in a huge plastic container used to transport them to the recycling center at a local home improvement store. I said a quick prayer for safety while coasting down the...