YES!!!! Thank you. It is the churches and charitable institutions who provide help with shelter, food, clothing, and medicine during times of need. Yet for most people the standard deduction is more than itemizing a tithe would be. If you have two separate individuals, each making $59,500 per year, and the one tithes but the other doesn't, they both get the same deduction, $5,950, and pay the same amount in taxes. Yet the one has given to an institution that feeds/houses/clothes the poor, while the other has not. (He bought a jet ski for himself.) The IRS gives an incentive NOT to give to charitable causes, unless one is Matt Damon, who doesn't, anyway.
In the name of shared sacrifice, it’s time to impose a tax on the $7 billion in box office receipts that Hollywood generates.
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- NYT: On second thought, Bush did pull together a coalition on Iraq Ed Morrissey 21 mins ago
- U.S. had Assad’s cooperation during strikes on targets in Syria Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Open thread: War president to address nation after targeting ISIS, Khorasan in Syria Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Yemen’s capital under near total control of Shiite rebels following bloody offensive Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- US hits Khorasan group in air strikes on Syria Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago