YES!!!! Thank you. It is the churches and charitable institutions who provide help with shelter, food, clothing, and medicine during times of need. Yet for most people the standard deduction is more than itemizing a tithe would be. If you have two separate individuals, each making $59,500 per year, and the one tithes but the other doesn't, they both get the same deduction, $5,950, and pay the same amount in taxes. Yet the one has given to an institution that feeds/houses/clothes the poor, while the other has not. (He bought a jet ski for himself.) The IRS gives an incentive NOT to give to charitable causes, unless one is Matt Damon, who doesn't, anyway.
In the name of shared sacrifice, it’s time to impose a tax on the $7 billion in box office receipts that Hollywood generates.
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Constitutional law professor on separation of powers: “Stop hatin’ all the time” Allahpundit 38 minutes ago
- Video: A huge executive amnesty for illegals would be a big mistake, says … Ed Schultz? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Grimes: Iron Dome really helps defend against the tunnels, or something Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Is the world giving up on a two-state solution? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Are the culture wars really just about sex? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- “A**holes”: Turns out Lois Lerner’s not a fan of conservative talk radio or its listeners Allahpundit 3 hours ago