And so it came, the coup de grace. The final "barrier" to "opportunities" for women in combat is no more. With a stroke of their pens, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin E. Dempsey decreed that no battlefield mission or military role is off-limits to the female sex. The defense secretary and the general thus liberated mothers, daughters, sisters and wives to kill and be killed in the infantry, commando raids, even in Obama administration "overseas contingency operations." In so doing, they also slashed away at that last institutional protection for the space that separates men...
Great column, Ms. West. Men are no better than women, but that doesn't mean that we are the same. I can't believe that on top of worrying about my two sons getting drafted someday, I now will have to worry about my daughter too. This certainly isn't what our grandfathers fought wars for.. Lord help us.
- The GOP comes roaring back in Colorado Noah Rothman 20 mins ago
- WSJ: Obama will require military to get his personal approval for U.S. strikes in Syria Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Scotland goes to the polls on independence Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Chaffetz to DHS Secretary: Did you hear the one about the four suspected terrorists who tried to walk across the border? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- The left’s war on football Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Does the Left really reject Hillary? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago