To put this in context, I don’t own a gun and I’m not a member of the NRA (although...
Thanks for the response! Virtually any semi-automatic firearm, hand-gun or rifle, and be converted fairly easily to full auto by, for example, filing down the "sear" part which holds back the hammer after it is cocked. If the sear does not hold back the hammer, it will fall immediately on the next live round, as long as the finger depresses the trigger. I'm not a gunsmith, but I know "sear filing" is one conversion approach. Here's what happens to you the moment you convert an otherwise legally owned firearm to full auto capability: You have committed a federal felony, which will land you in prison for 5 or more years. Of course, you lose any firearms you own, without any compensation, and bear the "felony" stigma for MANY years.
When speaking with swing voters (yes, there really are some truly moderate people left), I often encounter a fierce animus against the gridlock in Washington. They typically blame both political parties for the inability of our leaders to resolve the issues of the day. I reply by informing them that we have entered a period of little compromise. Among the reasons for this environment is Wayne LaPierre and the NRA, and what they’ve caused is not necessarily a bad thing.
- NBC News: We’re sure ISIS war will help Obama in the midterms, even if Obama isn’t Noah Rothman 41 mins ago
- Video: Joint Chiefs chairman concedes U.S. ground troops may see combat in Iraq Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Study: Nightly network news covered Bush’s crumbling job approval 124 times to this point in year six — versus nine times for Obama Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- An Orwellian War: U.S. routinely calling operations in Iraq what they are not Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- How many people are poised to lose 2014 ObamaCare coverage? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Thousands of American troops headed to Africa to fight… Ebola? Noah Rothman 4 hours ago