To put this in context, I don’t own a gun and I’m not a member of the NRA (although...
I agree with Bialosky completely. Some detail on the NRA approach to an "assault weapons ban": The banners simply don't like the "look" of AR-15's (the civilian version of the military M-16). However, the AR-15 is SEMI-AUTOMATIC, as are ALL other handguns, rifles, and shotguns available legally to American citizens. So the banners focus on magazines, muzzle breaks, etc., which could easily result in the banning of numerous hunting or self-protection weapons. The Left is simply uninterested in learning ANYTHING about the nature of legal weapons in this country.
When speaking with swing voters (yes, there really are some truly moderate people left), I often encounter a fierce animus against the gridlock in Washington. They typically blame both political parties for the inability of our leaders to resolve the issues of the day. I reply by informing them that we have entered a period of little compromise. Among the reasons for this environment is Wayne LaPierre and the NRA, and what they’ve caused is not necessarily a bad thing.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 8 hours ago