To put this in context, I don’t own a gun and I’m not a member of the NRA (although...
I agree with Bialosky completely. Some detail on the NRA approach to an "assault weapons ban": The banners simply don't like the "look" of AR-15's (the civilian version of the military M-16). However, the AR-15 is SEMI-AUTOMATIC, as are ALL other handguns, rifles, and shotguns available legally to American citizens. So the banners focus on magazines, muzzle breaks, etc., which could easily result in the banning of numerous hunting or self-protection weapons. The Left is simply uninterested in learning ANYTHING about the nature of legal weapons in this country.
When speaking with swing voters (yes, there really are some truly moderate people left), I often encounter a fierce animus against the gridlock in Washington. They typically blame both political parties for the inability of our leaders to resolve the issues of the day. I reply by informing them that we have entered a period of little compromise. Among the reasons for this environment is Wayne LaPierre and the NRA, and what they’ve caused is not necessarily a bad thing.
- White House: That round of golf after the Foley video was released doesn’t show the depth of Obama’s grief Allahpundit 49 mins ago
- Poll: As Scott Brown pounds on immigration, NH Senate race closes to statistical tie Guy Benson 1 hour ago
- Conservative columnists agree: Go to war in Iraq and Syria, don’t occupy them Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Hagel: ISIS beyond “just a terrorist group … imminent threat” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Want to go blind with rage? Read this letter from ISIS to the Foley family Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- “Direct invasion”: Aid convoy enters Ukraine Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago