Dr. John Lott, author of "More Guns, Less Crime," reports that until the 1960s, some New York City public high schools had shooting clubs where students competed in citywide shooting contests for university scholarships. They carried their rifles to school on...
Mr. Williams, you missed one that I think is quite important. The role of discipline in the home. Liberals/Progressives find the idea of corporal punishment abhorent, and have done much to make such illegal and making it possible for social service workers to ruin the parents and children's lives. The idea of a parent back-handing a child for using filthy language would send the Liberals into spasms of indignation, yet they don't seem to mind that when these children break the law, the Police can and will beat the tar out of them if they resist, and a judge can have them killed if their crime rises to that level. Yet a parent can no longer assert their traditional authority for fear of some do-gooder coming along to make life miserable.
When I attended primary and secondary school -- during the 1940s and '50s -- one didn't hear of the kind of shooting mayhem that's become routine today. Why? It surely wasn't because of strict firearm laws. My replica of the 1902 Sears mail-order catalog shows 35 pages of firearm advertisements. People just sent in their money, and a firearm was shipped.
- Has DoJ blocked a corruption probe into Reid, Lee? Ed Morrissey 31 minutes ago
- House Dems whipping against ObamaCare fix Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- NYT: Sink loss “devastating” for Democrats, was driven by ObamaCare Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Zuckerberg: U.S. government is a threat to the Internet Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Kerry: I’m approaching the Keystone XL pipeline with a totally blank slate Erika Johnsen 12 hours ago