How many decisions in our day-to-day lives would we like to be made through majority rule or the democratic process? How about the decision to watch a football game or "Law and Order"? What about whether to purchase a Chevrolet Volt or a Toyota Prius? Would you...
We should choose representatives and electors by lot. Senators should be chosen by the state legislature and the electors should choose the president. There should be no elections. Everybody's name goes in a hat and they draw one. Joe Smith, you are your district's representative for the next two years. Go do your best. PS: Your name never goes back into the hat again. We certainly could not do worse than we have now and could do a whole lot better. Plus we'd be spared these interminable campaigns.
President Barack Obama narrowly defeated Gov. Mitt Romney in the popular vote 51 percent to 48 percent. In the all-important Electoral College, the difference was larger, with Obama winning 303 electoral votes and Romney 206. Let's not think so much about the election's outcome but instead ask: What's so good about democracy and majority rule?
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 16 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 16 hours ago