How many decisions in our day-to-day lives would we like to be made through majority rule or the democratic process? How about the decision to watch a football game or "Law and Order"? What about whether to purchase a Chevrolet Volt or a Toyota Prius? Would you...
We should choose representatives and electors by lot. Senators should be chosen by the state legislature and the electors should choose the president. There should be no elections. Everybody's name goes in a hat and they draw one. Joe Smith, you are your district's representative for the next two years. Go do your best. PS: Your name never goes back into the hat again. We certainly could not do worse than we have now and could do a whole lot better. Plus we'd be spared these interminable campaigns.
President Barack Obama narrowly defeated Gov. Mitt Romney in the popular vote 51 percent to 48 percent. In the all-important Electoral College, the difference was larger, with Obama winning 303 electoral votes and Romney 206. Let's not think so much about the election's outcome but instead ask: What's so good about democracy and majority rule?
- Iraqi PM: Please, America, don’t send troops back to Iraq Noah Rothman 32 mins ago
- Rand Paul: If it was wrong not to protect the Benghazi consulate, it’s wrong not to protect the one in Kurdistan Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Vikings retreat on Peterson after sponsors, media erupt Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Watch ISIS’s Hollywood movie trailer goading U.S. to again invade Iraq Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- VA whistleblower: IG “softened” report on veteran deaths Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- LA Senate poll: Landrieu stuck in the mid-40′s, undecideds strongly disapprove of Obama Guy Benson 3 hours ago