How many decisions in our day-to-day lives would we like to be made through majority rule or the democratic process? How about the decision to watch a football game or "Law and Order"? What about whether to purchase a Chevrolet Volt or a Toyota Prius? Would you...
We should choose representatives and electors by lot. Senators should be chosen by the state legislature and the electors should choose the president. There should be no elections. Everybody's name goes in a hat and they draw one. Joe Smith, you are your district's representative for the next two years. Go do your best. PS: Your name never goes back into the hat again. We certainly could not do worse than we have now and could do a whole lot better. Plus we'd be spared these interminable campaigns.
President Barack Obama narrowly defeated Gov. Mitt Romney in the popular vote 51 percent to 48 percent. In the all-important Electoral College, the difference was larger, with Obama winning 303 electoral votes and Romney 206. Let's not think so much about the election's outcome but instead ask: What's so good about democracy and majority rule?
- Russia: We may move into eastern Ukraine to protect ethnic Russians there too Ed Morrissey 18 minutes ago
- Has DoJ blocked a corruption probe into Reid, Lee? Ed Morrissey 58 minutes ago
- House Dems whipping against ObamaCare fix Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- NYT: Sink loss “devastating” for Democrats, was driven by ObamaCare Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Zuckerberg: U.S. government is a threat to the Internet Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago