Every time I think of the strength of character and intelligence our founders had to push back so forcefully against the tide of tyranny, I am humbled. Everywhere in the world at that time and even now, the push has been against Freedom. I am afraid that we will never see thier like again.
Public misunderstanding, ignorance and possibly contempt for liberty play into the hands of people who want to control our lives. Responses to my recent column "Compliant Americans" brought this home to me. In it, I argued that the anti-tobacco movement became the template and inspiration for other forms of government intrusion, such as bans on restaurants serving foie gras, McDonald's giving Happy Meals with toys, and confiscating a child's home-prepared lunch because it didn't meet Department of Agriculture guidelines. A few responses read like this: "Smoking is different because that actually affects other people. We should be living by the notion...
- Rick Perry hint-hints: America is a great place for second chances Erika Johnsen 38 minutes ago
- It’s come to this: Obama threatens to veto Republican bills that … require him to follow the law Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Huckabee getting serious about a 2016 bid? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Gallup: Senate may be #Up4Climate, but … Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Charlie Rangel: The explosion today in Harlem is “our community’s 9/11″ Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Farmers, industry getting pretty nervous about the EPA’s incoming water regs Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago