Every time I think of the strength of character and intelligence our founders had to push back so forcefully against the tide of tyranny, I am humbled. Everywhere in the world at that time and even now, the push has been against Freedom. I am afraid that we will never see thier like again.
Public misunderstanding, ignorance and possibly contempt for liberty play into the hands of people who want to control our lives. Responses to my recent column "Compliant Americans" brought this home to me. In it, I argued that the anti-tobacco movement became the template and inspiration for other forms of government intrusion, such as bans on restaurants serving foie gras, McDonald's giving Happy Meals with toys, and confiscating a child's home-prepared lunch because it didn't meet Department of Agriculture guidelines. A few responses read like this: "Smoking is different because that actually affects other people. We should be living by the notion...
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 14 hours ago