Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 5:18 PM
I see you are in the military. Thank you sir for your service to our country. I come from a long line of people in my family who have served. You don't have to worry about me being in your foxhole - I work in the private sector. No fretting on my end.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 4:39 PM
My mistake - I should have consulted with the pentagon. While 2.5 million members of our armed forces have served in Afghanistan and Iraq since 2001, you are correct, 100,000 was the most at any one time in Afghanistan - I think it was in 2011, under the feckless Obama who hasn't done enough to appease the McCain/Graham wing of the party. I tried to get worked up over the personal tone of your message, but quite frankly, I could care less what you think of me.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 4:03 PM
If ISIS were hijacking our shipping lanes and we were paying them bounties amounting to 20% of the national budget to free our ships and cargo, like with the barbary pirates in 1800, I would be the first to advocate that we do something.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 2:22 PM
If the intent of muslim terrorists was to make America broke, take our freedoms away, and make us scared of having our heads lopped off in rural Nebraska, then they (along with the MSM) have succeeded. In reality, however, a person in Nebraska has a greater chance of getting eaten by a polar bear than they do getting their head chopped off by ISIS in downtown Grand Island. Reading my grandmother's hotmail account is not making the nation safer and is not a form of "freedom" under which I want to live. And finally, $100 trillion in unfunded liabilities and $16 trillion in actual debt is nothing to sneeze at - it represents a true existential threat to our country. It also severely diminishes our ability to respond to any true military threat to our nation down the road. ISIS isn't strong enough to destroy the United States. Our debt is.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 2:00 PM
Everyone is worse than Hitler these days. I can't open the paper without seeing a comparison of Assad, ISIS, Iran, Al Qaeda, or someone else being compared to Hitler. You want to strike fear into the American people, and make them demand that we pour more money and blood into a civil war on the other side of the world? Compare Assad/ISIS/Iran/[fill in the blank] to Hitler. I blame our education system on this fiasco - I at least had grandparents and great uncles to fill me in on what the real Hitler was like when I was growing up.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 1:43 PM
I will take my chances of seeing heads lopped off in my neighborhood, and roll forward the savings to paying the interest on our national debt. I have a greater chance of getting run over by a billion dollar light rail train that services a handful of neighborhoods.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 1:40 PM
The shia and sunnis haven't stopped fighting against each other in 1,400 years.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 1:07 PM
Al Qaeda is a nuclear power? I did not know that.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 12:10 PM
Given that we are a constitutional republic and not a dictatorship, consider this: Every 4 years a new party may take the executive and usher in their own agenda. 100% of the House and 33% of the Senate go up for election every 2 years. Regardless of what one's "long term" vision of foreign policy is in the world, be prepared to hand that bag of goodies on to the next person in line. Probably the reason why Afghanistan has become the US's longest war since the birth of our nation.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 12:05 PM
I liked when we went to war against the Taliban. We spent minimal money and routed them in a couple of weeks with special forces riding horseback next to the Northern Alliance, and a few laser guided bombs. Then we decided to spend trillions of dollars (thank you China), based 450,000 troops there, and promoted the rule of Mr. Kharzi. Why? It's like we are hell bent on snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Hold On, Mr. President

Conchfritters Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 12:00 PM
OK - I agree then about maintaining the military. We currently are responsible for 45% of all global military outlays. We spend more on defense than the next 14 countries behind us (Russia, China, England, France, etc.) combined. Our weapons and technology are more than a generation in front of what anyone else on earth has. Is the amount we are spending 1) Too much, 2) Too little, or 3) just right?