WASHINGTON -- Full disclosure right upfront: I'm a proud life member of the National Rifle Association. I am on the NRA's board of directors and serve as chairman of the organization's Military and Veterans' Affairs Committee. I have owned and used firearms most of my life, and I can read. Unlike some in Washington, I don't believe that the 27 words above -- the Second Amendment of our Constitution -- have...
I'm going on the assumption that you're genuinely asking this question, and not trolling. The purpose is threefold: 1) To allow Americans to protect themselves from violent criminals. 2) To allow the American people to protect themselves from foreign invasion. 3) To allow the American people to protect themselves from predatory internal politicians. That's the bare-bones purpose of the Second Amendment.
(SET ITAL) A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (END ITAL)
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 22 minutes ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Pelosi’s office retreats on Hobby Lobby “ban” claim Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Solar panel company pocketing govt subsidy cash intended for homeowners Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Look how the Export-Import Bank is using your tax money Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago