The Republican party leadership is just as threatened by constitutional conservatism as is the Democratic Party leadership. These two supposedly opposed entities are united in their collectivist goals: Both are willing to sacrifice the individual to what each supposes to be "the greatest good for the greatest number", and the only thing they're arguing about is who gets to define the "greatest good" and who gets to be sacrificed to it. Constitutional conservatism, with its emphasis on the primacy of individual rights, is probably a more serious threat to the Republican Party leadership because it threatens to reveal the wolf wearing the sheep's clothing.
The very quotable British novelist Samuel Butler observed that, “Self-preservation is the first law of nature.” Reports coming from Washington seem to show that this instinct is increasingly demonstrated in a very short-sighted set of actions by institutional Republicans in light of recent successes where grassroots held their elected representatives’ feet to the fire; a fire fueled by the party platform.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Video: Sharyl Attkisson wants to know where the illegal immigrant children have gone Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Video: Cruz presser at AFP summit Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Video: Pete Hegseth on VA scandal, ISIS threat at AFP’s Defending the Dream summit Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- California Dem moves to outlaw some civilian body armor Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- Don’t count Rob Ford out just yet Jazz Shaw 17 hours ago