'Bait and Switch' Taxes

cnesmith Wrote: Sep 05, 2012 3:24 PM
I'm unsure what your problem with my statement. The fact that people with $250k+ can afford a tax increase has nothing to do with living above your means. If they're living above their means that's their own fault....

'Bait and Switch' Taxes

cnesmith Wrote: Sep 05, 2012 2:37 PM
Not really. Just more economically viable in my opinion.

'Bait and Switch' Taxes

cnesmith Wrote: Sep 05, 2012 2:08 PM
@KrankyMike - The 'left' economists also have PHDs. The solution to the problem is hardly clearcut. Stop acting like it is. I don't think anyone disagrees that tax rates have an effect on the economy. But tax cuts aren't always the answer, just as increases aren't always the answer. People with above $250k/yr have enough money that raising their tax rate a couple points will not effect their standard of living. You can make the argument the author did, that billionaires will stop creating jobs here if taxes are raised (despite the fact they didn't create more when taxes were cut), but I believe the problem is more rooted in lack of consumption by the middle/working class because they have no money. AKA insufficient demand.

Democrats Won't Admit Their Side Lies

cnesmith Wrote: Sep 04, 2012 3:57 PM
The Tax Policy study you're citing made assumptions based on the vague statements Romney has made about policy. With the lack of cuts programs, cut taxes for the rich and promise to reduce the deficit he has to raise taxes on the middle/working class to make this happen. Maybe you're right and the middle class tax raises won't happen. But then where is that money coming from? Don't get me wrong, Obama's plan is very vague as well and that's a problem as well, but his plan at least makes some sense. Also keep in mind that sharp austerity to cut the deficit WILL drag the economy. A lot. So if you push that position, keep that in mind.

Democrats Won't Admit Their Side Lies

cnesmith Wrote: Sep 04, 2012 3:51 PM
Yes Romney lies. Yes Obama lies. Yes all politicians lie. Romney's campaign has lied more than most. And switched positions constantly. Unfortunately the lack of belief in scientifically backed theories such as evolution and climate change(how fast and how serious the problem is still debated, but the basic theory is accepted by 95% of scientists) also attributes to the viewpoint of Republicans not "caring about the truth."
It's because these opinions are asinine and inflammatory. Note that I wouldn't like a liberal doing the same column about conservatives either. It's stupid. Everyone wants the country to be better. One side or the other isn't 'better'. The country needs both sides' ideas to grow. The us against them mentality has to end. I could go through point by point and talk about why his opinion is ridiculous, but that'd be a huge waste of time. I can't refute his facts because he didn't include any. It's an opinion piece.
The problem here is you're thinking of science as a religion. It is not. Science is based on observable fact and repeatable experiments. Religion is based on faith. They're different things. Most on the 'Left' (silly polarizing US politics) don't have an issue with people believing what they want, except when faith conflicts with known facts to produce willful ignorance. You're treating this like we have equal scientific evidence of both 'theories' and are just ignoring one because we...hate God or something? I don't know. Anyways, this isn't the case. One has hundreds of years of modern scientific data backing. The other has no evidence.
No. They are not good points. Evolution is not disputed by any credible scientist I know. Something like 99.9% agree and the other 0.1% are not disputing evolution in it's entirety they're just arguing that certain evolutionary leaps are statistically improbable so there's likely more we don't know about it. You can say God was the factor that caused those evolutionary leaps if you want, I just don't think it's likely. We don't hate God. We just believe that ignoring proven facts is asinine.
Oh good. Let me find 25 'liberal' talking points and then says they'll all work perfectly and I'll have an opposing article. Stupid.
Actually, much of 'Obamacare' was supported by many Republicans prior to Obama bringing it forward - it's well documented. It's funny, the single payer mandate is unpopular because 'ahhhhhh socialism' but it would drive down health care costs and make it more affordable, which may be a good idea since the US pays the most per capita for a level of care that is below many countries that pay less for healthcare.

7 Examples of People Who Are Not Victims

cnesmith Wrote: Jun 19, 2012 1:13 PM
I'm glad I don't live in the US. The rampant discrimination against homosexuals is irritating. It's legal up here in Canada, morality hasn't imploded. I think the censorship of Merry Christmas is silly. It's hardly the same as forcing your religion on someone else. What people disagree with is religion or religious ceremonies taking a central role in public affairs. As not everyone in the country is Christian and the US is founded on freedom of religion. On a separate note - implying that white christian males in the US are treated unfairly as in this blog post is asinine. How about the US xenophobia of the Muslim population? That's persecution. Or the Christian's dying in the middle east.