They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 12:51 PM
The dramatic part of the incident was that there really was a frog in Nicholas' basin of bread-and-milk; he had put it there himself, so he felt entitled to know something about it. The sin of taking a frog from the garden and putting it into a bowl of wholesome bread-and-milk was enlarged on at great length, but the fact that stood out clearest in the whole affair, as it presented itself to the mind of Nicholas, was that the older, wiser, and better people had been proved to be profoundly in error in matters about which they had expressed the utmost assurance.

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 12:50 PM
It starts: THE children were to be driven, as a special treat, to the sands at Jagborough. Nicholas was not to be of the party; he was in disgrace. Only that morning he had refused to eat his wholesome bread-and-milk on the seemingly frivolous ground that there was a frog in it. Older and wiser and better people had told him that there could not possibly be a frog in his bread-and-milk and that he was not to talk nonsense; he continued, nevertheless, to talk what seemed the veriest nonsense, and described with much detail the colouration and markings of the alleged frog.

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 12:49 PM
"...in Saki's stories, he was a lazy degenerate. " Well, yes, but he was *so* well-spoken. And he exposed hypocrisy so well! I think Saki is some of the funniest stuff ever written in the English Language. Here, check this out, Clovis isn't in "The Lumber Room", readable at: http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/397/

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 12:42 PM
My presence here contradicts you.

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 12:41 PM

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 12:31 PM
"You couldn't be a better illustration of Prager's point if you were trying. " Err, no, I'm the exact antithesis of Prager's claim. To the extent that all Liberals are like me, I invalidate Prager's claim. Were I like Prager's slanderous claims, I'd say something like: "ALL REPUBLICANS THINK OBAMA IS A MUSLIM!" and I wouldn't even wonder from where I got that idea.

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 11:06 AM
I've seen surveys about the Obama-is-a-Muslim thing. I think one I saw said about 30% believe it, which is not 50% but it's still remarkable.

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 11:02 AM
Well, at least we can all agree that everyone lse is a moron. Progress! (Clovis is a man's name, BTW.)

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 10:43 AM
You're being sarcastic, but sometimes Prager fits the bill that you're counterfeiting above.

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 10:23 AM
People are people, and I think that the differences between Left- and Right-Wingers are much less than the (Left/Right)-Wingnuts at the extremes would have us believe. I think that Prager is correct when he says that the Left controls more of Academia and the Media than the Right, so Conservatives get more exposure to the other side than Liberals do. But it does seem to me that Talk radio, Fox, and the Rightwing Blogosphere now afford Conservatives the same opportunites to be insular and ignorant of uncomfortable facts that we on the Left have enjoyed for so long, and I think that many of you take full (and I do mean *full*) advantage of it.

They Don’t Know Us

Clovis_Sangrail Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 10:14 AM
My oldest friend from childhood used to be a Radical leftist, but he has become a Libertarian-Tending-Towards-Conservatism in his (our) old age. He hates Obama, for example. He's still my oldest, maybe my best friend, maybe it's good for me that his politics went the way they did, because it forces me to realize that politics is not everything and I value our friendship more. There's something wrong with us and/or the world if we cannot be friends with those who don't share our politics.