Liberal Washington Post editorial page commentator Ruth Marcus sees sexism in the Republican opposition to naming the current U.S. Ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, as Hillary Clinton’s replacement as Secretary of State. Marcus trots out a well-worn story from the 1970s. She relates the formidable Alice Rivlin’s recollections as first Director of the Congressional Budget Office. “Over my dead body will we have a woman in that job” was the reaction of the House Budget Committee Chairman. (Chairman, Ooh! Bad!) That was Dr. Rivlin’s testimony. Dr. Rivlin sailed through confirmation to chair the CBO and is widely respected...
In response to:
How does an inquiry about the death of four Americans shift into accusations of racism against poor Ambassador Rice? Deflecting or refocusing the investigation will not get us answers. Neither will the excuse "but I was just following instructions and you shouldn't get angry with me for reading a lousy script."
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Feds put kibosh on self-driving cars, plane sharing Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- It’s come to this: The War on Bacon is real Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- America in crisis: Should airline passengers be allowed to use “Knee Defender” to stop seats from reclining? Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Mitt Romney: Sure, there’s a chance I’ll run again Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Rubio sends letter to Obama: This executive amnesty will destroy immigration reform for the foreseeable future Allahpundit 11 hours ago