The financial crisis is over and the recession ended in 2009. But one of the federal government's biggest social welfare programs, which expanded when the economy convulsed, isn't shrinking back alongside the recovery.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70% since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012. Congressional budget...
In response to:
...wanted to find work, in contrast to modern times when there is little incentive to do so. He wrote this over 70 years ago. And now?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- US reconfirms policy of not paying ransoms to terrorists for abducted Americans Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Jake Tapper: Getting a conviction against Darren Wilson could be an ‘uphill battle’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of blacks say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- In effort to shield Obama from criticism on ISIS, White House makes everything worse Noah Rothman 4 hours ago