Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
But congress or any branch may, according to you, extend and expand the authorities, granted them by the constitution as they may see fit at any time, without a constitutional amendment and in DIRECT contradiction to any existing limits or constraints... The constitution is therefore moot, according to you, for now to be selectively adhered to, but may be disregarded should constraints interfere with what is perceived to be 'for the good of the country'.... Hence the example of the tyranny of the simple majority.... As to the 'illegality'.. In a country of convenient adherence the horrific state I wrote would when passed MAKE IT 'LEGAL'....
- “Direct invasion”: Aid convoy enters Ukraine Ed Morrissey 33 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Teamsters appeal to “Top Chef” for employment by threatening to bash in Padma Lakshmi’s face Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- “Today is a miraculous day”: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks after recovering from Ebola Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- YouGov poll: Most Americans, and most Democrats, do not wish Hillary had won in 2008 Allahpundit 13 hours ago