Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
But congress or any branch may, according to you, extend and expand the authorities, granted them by the constitution as they may see fit at any time, without a constitutional amendment and in DIRECT contradiction to any existing limits or constraints... The constitution is therefore moot, according to you, for now to be selectively adhered to, but may be disregarded should constraints interfere with what is perceived to be 'for the good of the country'.... Hence the example of the tyranny of the simple majority.... As to the 'illegality'.. In a country of convenient adherence the horrific state I wrote would when passed MAKE IT 'LEGAL'....
NewsBusted! President Obama, ISIS, 9/11, August Jobs Report, NBC News, Syrian Rebels, South Dakota Snow
- How many people are poised to lose 2014 ObamaCare coverage? Ed Morrissey 50 mins ago
- Thousands of American troops headed to Africa to fight… Ebola? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- WaPo editors: Say, this ISIS intervention looks a wee bit “underpowered,” no? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- ObamaCare subsidies funding abortion coverage: GAO Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago