Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
But congress or any branch may, according to you, extend and expand the authorities, granted them by the constitution as they may see fit at any time, without a constitutional amendment and in DIRECT contradiction to any existing limits or constraints... The constitution is therefore moot, according to you, for now to be selectively adhered to, but may be disregarded should constraints interfere with what is perceived to be 'for the good of the country'.... Hence the example of the tyranny of the simple majority.... As to the 'illegality'.. In a country of convenient adherence the horrific state I wrote would when passed MAKE IT 'LEGAL'....
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 14 hours ago