And this is the sort of thing that comes of the National Health Service waiting times to see a physician!
Not another "serious gum disease" horror story! Let me guess...you're a dentist, right? I don't know why no one seems to be taking Professor Ben Pitcher seriously. After all, he's simply a man who thinks there is a need for government to step in and start regulating gardening shows, because they have become a serious threat to society. Makes sense to me ;-)
Because the program isn't titled "Thinking Required"
Oh, I don't know. There is a well established tradition in reportage, a genre, we might say, whose whole purpose is to inform us about the freakish side of humanity. Thus we learn about the bearded lady, the sword swallower, snake woman, the shortest man in the world, the two-headed boy, and on and on. I'd say anyone who, after reading this story, thinks Professor Ben Pitcher is just your garden variety idiot as seriously misjudged him. In my humble opinion he has the potential to be an excellent circus attraction.
Just another example of how anxious the Obama administration is to be the most transparent in history!

Lies My President Told Me

ChuckintheOC Wrote: Nov 30, 2013 12:29 PM
There are less than half a dozen "liberals" who are Republicans in the House of Representatives. There are over 60 real "conservatives". And yes, the rest are moderates. It seems evident to me your remark was meant to conceal this significant fact.

Lies My President Told Me

ChuckintheOC Wrote: Nov 30, 2013 12:25 PM
No, most are either "useful idiots" or "fellow travelers" to mix Marx's and Chamber's terminology. The distinction hardly matters to the outcome, so why bring it up?

Lies My President Told Me

ChuckintheOC Wrote: Nov 30, 2013 12:19 PM
Ah, I'd challenge the statement that 20% of Americans suffer from one form of "mental illness" or another. There are many, many types of personality disorders too mild to be reasonably characterized as "illnesses". Furthermore, many Americans seek psychological treatment in the form of counseling for temporary feelings of intense anxiety due to their current circumstances, rather than to something intrinsically mentally wrong with them. Finally, many things that thirty years ago were not considered "illnesses" today are. Taken altogether, I seriously doubt, although I rush to admit I have not researched it myself, that one out of every five Americans is suffering from "mental illness".

Lies My President Told Me

ChuckintheOC Wrote: Nov 30, 2013 12:13 PM
Fair enough, but that doesn't justify the claim he's lying in his remarks on "global warming", or the idea that for him and his ideological ilk "global warming" is simply a political stalking horse dressed in a lab coat to aid them in their quest for a one world, totalitarian government. It only justifies the strong suspicion that he's lying his a** off. ;-)

Lies My President Told Me

ChuckintheOC Wrote: Nov 30, 2013 12:07 PM
In epistemology the faculty is called by various names. I believe Reid called it "sympathy". It's our cognitive faculty by which we grant, by default, credence to the testimony of others, and speak the truth ourselves. Skepticism in the absence of validating evidence and lying are cognitive aberrations. And because this is a built in faculty in human beings, it functions in the complex cognitive process, just like our other faculties of perception, reason, memory, etc., do to produce beliefs in us. In the case you cite it appears the number of testimonies received, while each weaker, perhaps, than perception in impacting the conclusion reached, by their very number overwhelmed the normally more relied upon cognitive faculty in the belief formed. It's simply how we're made.

Lies My President Told Me

ChuckintheOC Wrote: Nov 30, 2013 11:57 AM
Yeah, but when he was the term wasn't offensive to the American people.