The late Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., a former Klansman, wrote during World War II: "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side. ... Rather I should die...
Your statement "southern dixiecrats entered the repub party" is false: http://www.black-and-right.com/2010/03/19/the-dixiecrat-myth/ Also, a wonderful video exists which goes over each and every legislator who voted against the Civil Rights Act, and shows that all but one stayed IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Essentially NONE changed parties. What is more, their constituencies continued to VOTE DEM. This only changed once an entire generation (those in their sixties roughly speaking in 1964) had long retired, had left office, and an entire new generation of people populated even the most hidebound areas of the deep south by that time (e.g. Alabama).
MSNBC's Chris Matthews, in a recent debate with former Republican National Chairman Michael Steele, called the Republican Party the "grand wizard crowd." Grand wizard is the title given to the leader of the Ku Klux Klan. It is truly misinformed to call Republicans the party of the Klan. Throughout our history, most Klansmen and most racists have been Democrats. Here are a few racist quotes from major Democratic figures.
- WaPo: Say, this President doesn’t seem terribly competent at foreign policy, huh? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- On the dismissal of the Chris McDaniel challenge in Mississippi Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 15 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 16 hours ago