The late Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., a former Klansman, wrote during World War II: "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side. ... Rather I should die...
Your statement "southern dixiecrats entered the repub party" is false: http://www.black-and-right.com/2010/03/19/the-dixiecrat-myth/ Also, a wonderful video exists which goes over each and every legislator who voted against the Civil Rights Act, and shows that all but one stayed IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Essentially NONE changed parties. What is more, their constituencies continued to VOTE DEM. This only changed once an entire generation (those in their sixties roughly speaking in 1964) had long retired, had left office, and an entire new generation of people populated even the most hidebound areas of the deep south by that time (e.g. Alabama).
MSNBC's Chris Matthews, in a recent debate with former Republican National Chairman Michael Steele, called the Republican Party the "grand wizard crowd." Grand wizard is the title given to the leader of the Ku Klux Klan. It is truly misinformed to call Republicans the party of the Klan. Throughout our history, most Klansmen and most racists have been Democrats. Here are a few racist quotes from major Democratic figures.
- AP: CIA given stand-down order in Europe Ed Morrissey 20 mins ago
- Provokatsiya: Russia captures NATO allied Lithuania’s ship in international waters Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Susan Rice: I hope everyone realizes it’s going to take “many months” to train these Syrian rebels Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- The unbearable lightness of Hillary, 2016 Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Great news: 36% of Americans can name all three branches of government Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- US Navy spying on private citizens? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago