Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
He gets paid? Is that the best you can do? You are right. For the good of the country you are better off in the Democrat party. Do I have to tell you the definition of insanity?
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Small California winery to close doors after being fined for using volunteers Mary Katharine Ham 12 mins ago
- NC SEN: Is the race ‘tight as a tick?’ Matt Vespa 52 mins ago
- Three words. Tetris. The movie. Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Carter: If I had gone to war with Iran, I would have beaten Reagan or something Matt Vespa 2 hours ago
- FCC: We’ll look into whether “Redskins” is indecent for broadcast Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Fox News primetime hits record high ratings, MSNBC falls to record lows Gabriel Malor 3 hours ago