Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
Denmark Vessey: reality trumps distortions Reality is you don't swim the ocean when you know you don't stand a chance in hell of making it across. When Republicans don't pursue the Black vote it's because they know they don't have a chance in hell of competing against the welfare state. What are they suppose to say? "We can destroy the Black family better that the Democrats have? We can produce worse schools than the unionized Democrats? Democrats tell you "we'll take care of you" Republicans tell you you have to think for yourself, take responsibility for you own life and work your way out of poverty and you call this the worst or best of two evils. Are you blind? Look at the Black condition? Can they be any worst?
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Video: Sharyl Attkisson wants to know where the illegal immigrant children have gone Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Video: Cruz presser at AFP summit Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Video: Pete Hegseth on VA scandal, ISIS threat at AFP’s Defending the Dream summit Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- California Dem moves to outlaw some civilian body armor Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- Don’t count Rob Ford out just yet Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago