Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
Larry Elder is a nobody among black voters, as are most Conservative columnists . I take it that that means he pulls his pants up,wears a belt, knows who his father is,speaks literate English and is not government dependent?
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- ISIS has shocked America back to its senses Noah Rothman 8 mins ago
- Surprise coming in MA gubernatorial race? Ed Morrissey 48 mins ago
- America has no strategy, but ISIS does: Biological terrorism Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- More non-existent voter fraud tuns up in Virginia Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- AFP Defending the Dream Summit: Day 1 Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago