Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
The truth is you look at the dismal conditions in the Black community and nothing has changed over the past 65 years. It's as if Blacks wear their illiteracy, poverty, and destruction of the Black family as a source of pride. When someone tries to point the way out you call them racist or sell outs. There was a reason why M.L. King, his father and his brother were Republicans. He knew that welfare and socialism would spell doom for the Black community and he was right. Remember, when you use words like sell out, uncle Tom, and other derogatory words to disparage Blacks like Elder you're talking about people who had the courage to leave the plantation and think for themselves.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 6 hours ago