Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
You have conservatives who tell you to take responsibility for your own life and work your way out of poverty but you reject that and play the race card because you don't want to give up the poverty checks and stop being victims. Back during slavery when Blacks were chattel and had physical chains they wanted to be free. But now when you voluntarily,gladly enter into slavery of your own volition then you are truly a slave.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 49 mins ago
- Inside the collapse of Obama’s Syria ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Politico, WaPo, ABC: This “no strategy” comment will do serious damage Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- How many times does Josh Earnest have to say ‘strategy’ before you forget yesterday? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- ISIS has shocked America back to its senses Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Surprise coming in MA gubernatorial race? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago