Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
You have conservatives who would to tell you to take responsibility for your own life and work you way out of poverty but you reject it and play the race card because you can't stand not being a "victim." Now, you can reply whatever you want but it will not negate the fact that those young people are still dying and those young women are still lock into poverty.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 33 minutes ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- ISIS Update: Sophisticated strategic advance puts Baghdad in the crosshairs Noah Rothman 3 hours ago