After the massacre, press secretary Jay Carney reiterated Obama's support for reinstating the federal "assault weapon" ban that expired in 2004, and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., promised to introduce a bill aimed at doing so next month. But we know for sure that an "assault weapon" ban would not...
Finally, machine gun like semi auto military look alike were orphaned and hardly sold until the bans came into effect. 1985 you could buy a real M16 select fire (Semi and Full automatic) for the same price as a AR15 semi auto only. Now, in 2012 a real M16 is around $20,000 putting it out of reach of the common man. In 1989 the price of semi auto military look alike doubled overnight and became items of desire. Like any prohibition, it will only make them more attractive. There is only one thing that would make a difference is a complete ban on all guns and a house to house search and confiscation of guns and ammunition. To keep the police safe the raids would begin after midnight and all participants in the house should be restrained
"These tragedies must end," says President Obama, referring to Adam Lanza's horrifying assault on Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., last Friday. Although it is hard to disagree with that sentiment, the measures Obama favors cannot reasonably be expected to prevent such thankfully rare but nevertheless appalling outbursts of senseless violence.
- WSJ: Obama will require military to get his personal approval for U.S. strikes in Syria Allahpundit 50 mins ago
- Video: Scotland goes to the polls on independence Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Chaffetz to DHS Secretary: Did you hear the one about the four suspected terrorists who tried to walk across the border? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- The left’s war on football Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Does the Left really reject Hillary? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Australian raids net more than a dozen terror suspects before planned wave of attacks Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago