What is it about Abraham Lincoln that has captured the hearts and minds of the American public since his assassination nearly 150 years ago? After all, one could argue -- rather persuasively -- that our 16th president was the least qualified candidate ever elected to high national office; in fact, his public service record included just four terms in the Illinois state legislative, one unremarkable term in the House of Representatives, and two unsuccessful bids for the US Senate. In addition, he had virtually no executive experience and, as his contemporaries invariably pointed out, Lincoln seemed wholly unfit to lead the...
- Open thread: Semi-retired President to issue daily communique at 12:45 ET (pledged) Ed Morrissey 31 mins ago
- World Jewish Congress president asks, “Who will stand up for the Christians?” Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Police sources to NYT: Witnesses, forensics prove Wilson sustained an injury during his confrontation with Michael Brown Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- White House knew ISIS planned to kill James Foley Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Report: Qatar scuttled Gaza cease-fire for not having seat at Cairo table Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- White House now leaning on Eric Holder to play the role of racial healer? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago