A piece this week on the portion of Americans working in their prime received a lot of attention, but the fact of the matter is that this is a trend that has gone turbo over the last few years. The author noted that the participation has declined to 75.7% for 25-54 year olds down from pre-recession level of 80%. These are people that have simply dropped out of the job market. While it skews the unemployment rate to a more flattering number, it has a truly devastating impact on the economy and on the individuals that find the sofa more appealing...
In response to:
How can the producers and workers avoid (not evade) paying taxes to support those who never have and never will work. How can the producers and workers avoid paying taxes that politicians use to further their own wealth and the wealth of their cronies, e.g. Solyndra, GM unions, teachers, bankers. For starters, vote out every incumbent (its called sending a message). Second, vote in those who promise to reduce government control of your life, then vote them out if they don't.
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 40 mins ago
- Great news: Homeland Security can’t find 6,000 foreign nationals in US Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 2 hour ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: UK takes steps to keep British jihadists from returning Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago