A piece this week on the portion of Americans working in their prime received a lot of attention, but the fact of the matter is that this is a trend that has gone turbo over the last few years. The author noted that the participation has declined to 75.7% for 25-54 year olds down from pre-recession level of 80%. These are people that have simply dropped out of the job market. While it skews the unemployment rate to a more flattering number, it has a truly devastating impact on the economy and on the individuals that find the sofa more appealing...
In response to:
How can the producers and workers avoid (not evade) paying taxes to support those who never have and never will work. How can the producers and workers avoid paying taxes that politicians use to further their own wealth and the wealth of their cronies, e.g. Solyndra, GM unions, teachers, bankers. For starters, vote out every incumbent (its called sending a message). Second, vote in those who promise to reduce government control of your life, then vote them out if they don't.
- US Navy spying on private citizens? Ed Morrissey 10 mins ago
- Senate’s possible 2016 hopefuls gambling that ISIS war will be unpopular soon Noah Rothman 51 mins ago
- Biden to women’s conference: I miss Republicans like Bob Packwood Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Bob Beckel: Get ready for an October surprise, Republicans Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Cardinals clash over divorce, communion ahead of Vatican synod Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Josh Earnest: Ignore Obama’s military critics because they served under Bush Noah Rothman 3 hours ago