Toll roads are appealing to many on the right, because the fees don't look like taxes; motorists are charged for the voluntary action of driving on a specific road. Toll roads appear to be run by private entities, not the government. Also known as turnpikes, they are becoming an increasingly popular way to raise money to build roads, instead of increasing gas taxes which have traditionally paid for highways. Gas tax revenues only have about one-third the buying power they did a decade ago, insufficient to build new roads or maintain existing ones. There are now 5,244 miles of toll roads...
To put it more simply, the gas tax is already a user fee and it is for more efficient than toll roads have ever been demonstrated to be. If you do the math, gas taxes charge about 1 cent per mile while toll roads cost the driver between 15 to 30 cents per mile. Why some people defend toll roads is absolutely mind boggling.
- Poll: 63% oppose Obama’s executive order on amnesty Allahpundit 10 mins ago
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- Great news: Homeland Security can’t find 6,000 foreign nationals in US Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: UK takes steps to keep British jihadists from returning Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago